1.01.2011

Kindergarten Curriculum

READING: Still using Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect Spelling here, but adding in Dick and Jane books as well. I love the collection books of Dick and Jane,( The World of Dick and Jane and Friends (Treasury)) and the goal is to have them reading the entire collection by the end of Kindergarten. FUN WITH DUSTY Grade 1 is another Dick and Jane type book that we integrate. I have also used Abeka readers that I have picked up along the way. We start bringing home library books to read that are beginning readers and move into the other levels as each child is able. Spend about 30 minutes.

MATH- My preference here is Abeka Math for this grade level. It is colorful, inexpensive and very academic. My goal here is to have them counting to 100, adding and subtracting and skip counting. Be sure to use manipulatives like beans or coins to help them relate the concept of counting to objects. Use life to teach them about math too. Abeka will have them introduced to simple multiplication by the end of the year. ~YIKES!~ I know.

HISTORY-My kindergartner hangs around while the others do history. I involve them by letting them listen in and ask questions. I give coloring pages out of the workbook for Story of the World (1st-4th grade curriculum)and if they can narrate anything back to you, then you can write it down for them to file away in their notebook as a record of what they learned.

SCIENCE- Kids at this age love experiments, I recommend Bubbles, Rainbows and Worms.

WRITING-  I found that I don't stick with the paper for Kindergarten very long because it is huge. I quickly transition over the next couple of years to standard paper.  My kids start copying Bible verses every day. This is great for them to learn how to look up at your writing and then back down on their paper. Any letters that they are writing backwards or incorrectly, we focus on them as well along side the verses. Spend about 10-15 minutes based on their patience level. If they have trouble writing and get visibly frustrated, break it up in 5 minute intervals. Read your child here. They are too young to allow them to get so worked up. You want them to love learning.

BIBLE- I have used formal Bible curriculum before, but wasn't impressed. Of course, I haven't tried too many. Here is what I like to do. I have several children's bible books around the house and some character building curriculum that I combine. I also have a computer program. So, I just use what I have. They always have some sort of bible story or lesson from the bible. We share prayer requests and then spend some time in prayer before we begin each school day. Sometimes, I teach out of a book I am reading if they contain some simple lessons that can be adapted to children. This is a great time for children to learn how to pray, how to study the word of God and how to memorize it. We spend 10 minutes a day on memory. Many times, it is learning scripture. The Bible Story Hour is our favorite for this age. Character Classics : "Little Larry" Attentiveness (Books and CD) (Character Classics) is a great character building course that has a CD with the lesson put to classical music. It's great to introduce your kids to classical music at the same time as teaching them biblical values. I can't hear Mozart without singing the lyrics to a character classic, neither can my kids.

MEMORY- If they don't know it already, we learn the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag and the pledge to the Bible. We also learn our mission statement and vision statement. We learn the Lord's Prayer this year as well. I add in other verses as there is time.

2 comments:

  1. I think God is prompting me towards homeschooling. And I am overwhelmed at the thought. Your site is so helpful! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lara! I hope you will move towards that endeavor, but with LOTS of prayers :) Let me know if you have any questions. I can try to cover them in my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.