1.01.2011

Pre K Curriculum

READING:  Phonics Pathways: Clear Steps to Easy Reading and Perfect SpellingI use this starting at age 4 and it lasts me through the first grade. I love this book for teaching reading. I have successfully taught 2 of my kids to read on this program. Though it lasts me a couple of years, they are easily reading by 1st grade.

WRITING: I have used Zaner-Bloser Handwriting (Practice Masters) Grade K. I have used their writing paper as well and I have used writing paper from Walmart. Both are great, just be sure to use the right sizing. I have my children do copy work every day. In this grade, we copy the alphabet and numbers, repeating and adding new ones throughout the year. By the end, the goal is to have them pretty comfortable with writing letters without copying my work by Kindergarten.

MATH- For pre-k, we are unofficial in Math. We count jelly beans or m and m's eating them as we go! We count stairs as we walk up and down, starting at age 2 and do adding and subtracting with manipulatives. No formal paperwork at this time.

GRAMMAR- At four, this is just accomplished through correcting them as they misspeak. We all do that anyway as a parent!  I usually purchase a PreK workbook from Walmart to let my preschooler have a "school book" to work on while the others are doing school. It's not necessary, but they like to be like their big brothers and sisters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.