4.30.2011

7th Grade Curriculum

Math- We use Saxon Math 8/7. If you have read my other curriculum posts, you will know that I love Saxon for this age. I like it beginning in fourth grade with Saxon 5/4. If you have a child in 7th grade and haven't found a math you love, try this! It's easier to teach than some maths out there like Abeka. I like that it is spelled out for you as far as what to say. The examples are clear and I have been able to keep up with it as her teacher. If you are unsure you can teach it at this level, you can always choose to purchase a DVD tutor for Saxon through Dive into Math. Also, you can have your child take a free online math test on their website in order to place your child in the right level.


Spelling- We are finishing up Spelling this year with Spelling Workout H. It has been a great program. We have used it all the way through and found the words challenging and ordered in such a way that they have enjoyed it. Out of all of my kids classes, Spelling Workout is the one subject they have never complained about doing. It's usually the first one they grab if working alone.



Grammar- Our preferred curriculum here is Rod and Staff "Building Securely". We have used them since third grade. It is very thorough and builds nicely on itself each year. It comes with a workbook for either extra work or as alternate work. We like to use it as alternate work, otherwise each chapter in the text book has plenty of exercises to choose from. There is also a test booklet. This time, the test booklet had a comprehensive final exam which was a first for her. It was nice to sharpen her study skills through it. A couple of things I love about Rod and Staff Grammar...they always cover etiquette and manners (good ole' fashioned manners) as well as using scripture many times for diagramming exercises. Also, the text book is a very durable, hard cover that lasts for your subsequent children. The workbook and test booklet have to be bought each time, but they are just a few dollars. Helpful hint* Get the teacher's manual. I made it through 6th grade without it, but I couldn't for 7th :)




History - We use the Well Trained Mind suggestion for History. My 7th grader has become an outlining master by using their method. We use the Kingfisher Encyclopedia. She has a four page spread she reads and outlines from the time period we are studying and then she writes a composition either off her outline or off two of the pages.It is also something that doesn't require much from me. I check her outline and her compositions, but otherwise, she self directs this subject. I really, really like this book. Even if you do not use it for outlining, it is an excellent resource and a great book to own for spending time in reading. 




Science- This year we have done God's Design. There are three books for each year.  God's Design for the Physical World: Machines and Motion (God's Design Series), God's Design for the Physical World: Inventions and Technology (God's Design Series),and the last one is God's Design for the Physical World: Heat and Energy (God's Design Series). It is not cheap, but it is very good. It comes with a CD to print off worksheets, but that is definitely not my favorite thing to do. I am not going to use this in the future. I will try Apologia next year. If I like it, then my boys will use that for fourth grade in the future. Don't get me wrong; the science was fun, thorough, and interesting. This was a "ME" problem. You will probably love it if you can be organized enough to have everything printed off in time.




Writing
- There is a writing assignment almost every day through Science, History or Grammar. I am very happy with how she writes after following this method up until now. She loves to write. That may be her nature or it may have developed through this method, but either way, she is very well spoken in her writings. She is currently writing a book for fun. I don't tell her that she is doing school when she does that, but I count that too :) 



Reading
- She reads science books that we have on hand like previous curriculum and library books. She also reads a Story of the World volume each year. She also has reading in her Kingfisher Encyclopedia  in order to outline and she picks fun books from the library as well. I aim to have them read at least an hour a day, but she does more than that usually.



Art- She teaches herself art from a self teaching book we bought at Michael's. They have them for drawing faces, animals, nature etc...It's amazing how well those have helped. She has far superseded me on drawing. At this point, she would have to teach me.

Logic
- We love Fallacy Detective. It is a two part book written by homeschooled brothers. They are very intelligent and humorous. My daughter loves this subject and has learned a good bit. With out family emphasis on critical thinking, this is just what we needed. It is fun and educational. I learned so much myself!

(Of course, I could tack that last statement onto every subject every year. I am constantly learning.)



Latin- We like Rosetta Stone Homeschool Edition


Memory
- Because she is fulfilling her "rite of passage" requirements, my daughter is memorizing the book of James. We are not asking her to memorize anything else this year. It is plenty to learn. She is spending 30 minutes a day learning it through writing and reading it over and over. What has pleased me the most is hearing her use those verses as needed during the day for different circumstances or conversations she is having with me or her siblings. I cannot describe how wonderful it is to hear her speaking the Word of God and applying it to every day situations. I highly recommend this. James is a not too long and jam packed with wisdom!

4 comments:

  1. I am going to have to look into these, I love checking out new curriculum:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! There are supposed to be pictures here,but they are not loading. So sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Hannah, a rite of passage is really any ceremony that takes a person into another chapter of their life, so even a graduation from high school and a wedding ceremony constitute a "rite of passage". We also do one around the age of 13 to show our kids that they are now on the path to becoming adults. The responsibilities change and the expectations are more than they were prior to this age. We use the ceremony to lay the vision for what that looks like and invite the people that we trust to be a voice in her life as an indication to her that she can go to them if she needs anything. I am writing an ebook on it called "A Journey to Womanhood: A Guide to Her Rite of Passage". I hope it will make this very old tradition in many parts of the world more applicable in today's America. We did it with our first so far and have experienced outstanding results!

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.