5.02.2011

8th Grade Curriculum

We are trying something REALLY new for us this year. I am enrolling my 8th grader into a college prep homeschool coop. This resulted as a need to compromise somewhat with her. I am NOT one of those parents who lets their children dictate major decisions for their lives, but in this instance, she was begging me for classroom interaction. It's not the social interaction she wants, as she has plenty of that, but rather it's the experience of a classroom that she is desiring. I can't blame her. The grass is always greener...but I won't bend on the public/private school option.  I can, however, bend on a homeschooling class option. This co op is very rigorous and full of very like minded families. A lot of prayer has gone into this and I am excited to give this a try. Two days a week, she will go to their building and learn. Three days a week, I will be her facilitator. Ultimately, I am still her teacher. I make final decisions on her grades etc...I like their choices for curriculum and I am listing them here for anyone else headed into the 8th grade.


History




Literary Analysis

Writers Inc.




Mere Christianity




The Cat of Bubastes



Julius Caesar (No Fear Shakespeare version)
Shakespeare/ Sparknotes



Eagle of the Ninth



Idylls of the King



The Pilgrim’s Progress



The Scarlet Pimpernel



Silas Marner-Couldn't find at Amazon.com
Eliot

Sense and Sensibility



Heart of Darkness



Eric Liddell (version TBA)



The Hiding Place



Animal Farm



Physical Science



Latin

Vocabulary from Classical Roots A (We did this last year)



Vocabulary from Classical Roots B (this too!!)



Logic

The Fallacy Detective (and this one...)



The Art of Argument (Revised Edition)



Algebra  (Super sad to be leaving Saxon...I will let you know how it goes.)

Algebra




We will be including our state history and do various studies within it. She won't be able to cover the whole book due to this schedule.

Grammar-- TBD Probably the 8th grade Rod and Staff

Bible -TBD

3 comments:

  1. Notgrass is a great history curriculum. My oldest son (graduated 2009) used it and loved it. Also, The Cat of Bubastes is one of his favorites, along with Animal Farm. Looks like a great lineup so far!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary for that encouragement! That makes me feel better about it. It's hard when you change something that you have been doing forever!

    I am not sure why, but my pictures are not loading today on this post, so for any others reading this, I will try to find out why.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments! I'm enjoying reading through your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.