12.29.2011

The Secret to Fulfilling the Dream

Do you have a dream? I do. In fact, mine started out as an actual dream (while I was sleeping) when I was in 7th grade. I didn't realize it at the time, but that simple dream became something I would strive to achieve for years to come. In fact, before I said "yes" to my husband's marriage proposal, I made certain that the dream I had was something he felt called to do as well. It was~ so I said "YES!"

One day I think I will write a book (or just complete the one I have started) on our dream together as a family. We have certainly seen many difficulties. Sometimes, we have felt completely isolated and it seemed that while everyone around us was enjoying success, we were the only ones experiencing disappointment after disappointment; so much so, that the people around us began to tell us to just give up on our hopes. That was a very low time for me.

One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of Joseph found in the book of Genesis beginning in chapter 37. When I learned that his time spent in prison wasn't just a quick stint, but actually 10 years, it really resonated inside of me. I felt my time in the "wilderness of despair" was lasting too long. I began to wonder if I was being punished for something, something I didn't do...kind of like Joseph.

Joseph didn't have the hindsight we have looking at his story. In fact, no one in the OT did. Yet, Joseph remained like a rock, firm in his trust in God. He had been stripped of his beloved father, his not so loving brothers, and his chance at being a leader (remember his dream??). Now, Joseph was a mere slave in Egypt. He didn't have the lens we have when viewing his story. He didn't know that God was always at work and had never forgotten him. He didn't know that this was the process by which God would bring his dream to reality. He didn't know that God's favor never left him for one moment.

One thing that struck me was Jacob's quote when the brothers came back to collect their brother Benjamin and take him to Egypt to comply with Joseph's command. No one knew that this was Joseph who was calling for this, so it put Jacob in complete turmoil and he said, "Why does this always happen to me?"

I have said those words! Yet, from our perspective, we can see that God wasn't just making Joseph's dream come true, but Jacob's as well.  He was about to be reunited with his favorite son, a son he thought was dead for years. Yet, he complained and refused to budge. I can truly relate.

I love the Bible. It reveals my lack of faith and distrust and sets me back where I need to be. It reminds me that His ways are not my ways and His thoughts are better than mine. I need that reminder ALL the time.

What's more, what I believe inside about God affects my children's belief in God. That means I need to be VERY careful what words I let come out of my mouth even if it is not completely directed at God. Kids are smart! They can connect the dots. They will be the first to see when we are not trusting in Whom we tell them to trust.

Oh, I have made some mistakes in this area, let me tell ya! I am so grateful God lovingly brings back His Word to comfort me. I am SO thankful that while Joseph was going through such a dark time in his life, that he remained faithful and through his faithfulness, his story encourages us all thousands of years later.

I feel so loved by God when I realize that all those years ago, God wasn't just accomplishing something in Joseph, but He was thinking of me and setting the stage to accomplish great things through me as well.

I will never give up hope in my God. Now others can say about me one day:


And they can say that about YOU too. Why do we believe we can? Because we know Whom we have believed in and we are persuaded that He is able to keep that which we've committed unto Him against that day!

Do you realize that in ONE day, Joseph went from a slave to the most important man in Potipher's house? In ONE day, he went from a prisoner to a prince? In ONE day, his dream was fulfilled and in ONE moment, he was the instrument that saved ALL of the world from famine. This illustrates one of my favorite quotes, " God takes forever to act suddenly".

In the midst of the wait, follow the example of Joseph.  He never complained, he just trusted. He took on whatever situation God put him in with strong conviction and did it all with excellence, even while he was in the dungeon. He never gave up and always hoped. Dream big, believe God can and will, be patient and no matter what, never give up hope. That is the secret to fulfilling the dream. If God put the dream within you, it will happen in ONE moment.

Linking up with Meghan and using the word "Fulfill" for my plans this year. It might be my year :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey, friend! Thank you for this encouraging post today. I really needed to hear this, as I get discouraged about my own dream from time to time and seeing it come to fruition. Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. I need this reminder all the time. I am glad it could encourage you as well. I hope your family is doing well! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great word for this year! Good choice! Thanks for linking up!

    Meghan
    www.thetuckerstaketennessee.com

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.