7.25.2011

Submission

PHOTO CREDIT

Oh no, now I have gone and done it! I said the S word. This is a bad word in many circles and a very confusing word in Christian circles. Well, I hope to maybe give you another idea of this word that is so sadly misunderstood and misused to manipulate and degrade many women.

When I lived in Africa, I attended an American wedding that was led by a Kenyan pastor. My friends and I began to pick up on a tone that the pastor set through the entire wedding. The word submit came up over and over. So much so, that we began counting. If I remember right (and I probably don't), I think it was around 15 times that the pastor reminded the new bride that she was to submit to her husband. We giggled at the obvious attempt to brain wash the bride.

I am a big believer in the word submit. (Let me pause for a moment while my mom and dad have a moment of laughter to themselves.) Don't get me wrong, I loathe the idea of a husband dangling the word over his wife in an effort to manipulate her or require something of her that is unthinkable. I am not a big fan of authoritarian marriages either, so if your husband has come here to get his permission to dangle, it's not going to happen. I want to define this more clearly as I believe God intended this command to be lived out.

In the past, when I have been in discussions with women on this word and what it means, I find myself skirting by on the idea that it is for when a big decision arises. Let's say you both are on opposite sides of the court and you do your faithful duty as a wife and say, "I concede. You want to go to France, I want to go to Italy...France it is." Get the picture? Big decisions. Well, not so the case. My heart has been changed on this as of lately. Yes, the big decisions are still a part of submission, but there is more, so much more and I really don't want you to miss it.

Here is what it doesn't mean. It doesn't mean agreeing. It doesn't mean liking your husband's decision. It doesn't mean being a stepford wife. It doesn't mean women are weak. It doesn't mean men are bad.

Not too long ago, I contemplated how scripture can be so familiar to us that we miss the true meaning behind it. We have heard the verse a million times, assumed what we thought it meant and never given it another thought or another chance to penetrate our hearts and change us. We may even skip over it thinking we are already obeying that verse. Now, imagine standing before the Lord and He points out an area that you completely dropped the ball in and you reply, "But I didn't know," and He says, "It's in the Bible...in plain English" (unless you read the KJV and then He might say 'in very difficult English') :) Anyway, wouldn't that be a sad moment for us, to realize we assumed instead of asking God to reveal our blind spots? I, for one, would not be okay with that.

The Lord showed me the other day where I had done just that. I assumed the verse, "Wives, submit to your husbands," meant one thing after being so familiar with it...15 times in one day at the wedding in fact and then of course all the times I had read the verse, discussed the verse etc. I knew it like the back of my hand. I even thought I was obeying it.

Over the last year, my husband has sheepishly repeated a desire to me. He's a children's pastor at one of our campuses. Many times he has said, "I wish you could work with me." "I sure would love to have you come along side me in this." Wouldn't it be cool if we could work together?" My response - "Oh, no thanks...I am doing such and such and I am happy with that," He always accepted my answer and we went along our merry way.

A couple weeks ago, the  Lord brought that verse up to me when I was thinking how we misunderstand and misappropriate God's Word due to familiarity. He instantly checked my spirit. When I went through my line of thinking with what it meant, He so gently said to me..."Yes, but there is more. Submitting means submitting to the desire of your husband's heart." Instantly I was reminded of his wishes for my help in his ministry. Oh.my.goodness. How had I missed that?

Think about that Ladies. We love our husbands. The Bible says we are one with them.Why are we not one with their hearts? Why do we not see that submission is not waiting for them to command us to go here or there, but submission happens when we choose to respond lovingly to the desire of our husband's heart even when it is unspoken.

My husband would enjoy my partnership in his ministry. Well then, that is where I need to be. God will honor that and my desire for that ministry will soon grab a hold of my heart. 

Take time to know and understand your husband's heart. He may not have loudly articulated his desires to you, so it might take some thought on your part to decipher what he needs from you. Maybe he has and you are refusing to go there. If so, I submit to you that you are being insubordinate  to the will of God.

Ouch!  I know. I felt the same way. Actually, I felt ashamed that it took me 16 years to see such a simple notion.

Take time today to let the Holy Spirit walk you through your husband's heart. Let Him pinpoint some things where you can ....brace yourselves....submit to the quietly spoken desire of your husband. I guarantee you that if you live a pattern of this life, your husband's heart will be changed towards you in areas that maybe you feel a change is in order.

Here is what submission IS. It IS obeying God's Word. It IS hard to do sometimes. It IS a loving action. It IS a selfless act. It IS being a good example to your children. It IS peaceful. It IS going to reap blessings. It IS healthy. It IS going to win his heart. It IS going to please your Father in heaven. It IS going to strengthen your womanhood.


If you like what you see, sign up here for our free newsletter!

20 comments:

  1. Excellent post. Submission is so hard and even harder when I totally disagree with my husband. I do not perfectly submit and my husband doesn't perfectly lead, but we both try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Mary for that. You are right. It can be so hard. It goes totally against our flesh....which might be an indicator that it is the right thing to do. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I have the same struggle - I totally think that I should submit and sometimes that strong belief tricks me into believing that I DO submit. LOL So not true. Plus my husband is so laid back it is so very easy for me to miss what he's saying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen! I believe in submission, but like anything else good it can be manipulated and used for evil. Thanks for sharing your journey and testimony of this gospel concept.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweet friend, God has been teaching me this for three years...and I"m finally starting to 'get' it. I'm learning the freedom that comes with it. It truly is the best way for ourhomes to run. No team can have two captains..no company can have two CEOs....God pointed out proper leadership in the Bible...and yet his words...your desire shall be for your husband....begins the cruxt of our heart issues not to desire submission, but to have to work for it..meaning, dying to ourselves and handing it over to him...being obedient to him, thus our husband...submission. The world has turned it into an ugly thing....it's upside down to the beauty it truly is! Thank you for this post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MissMoe, that is so true! It can be so frustrating at times how the enemy perverts what God has set up to deceive us. Thankfully we counteract that with what the devil intended for evil, God intends for good. Thanks for commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rebecca, thank you for stopping by :) I love what you said. It was just a couple of years ago that I was made aware of what that verse meant- your desire shall be for your husband. I didn't understand it until then and it is so true...we (our flesh) fight to be in his place. So we have to fight harder to resist that instinct. Thankfully, we serve the Overcomer of this world and he has made us more than conquerors so this attitude of submission is feasible for even the most controlling personalities.There is hope for ALL of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for this great reminder! I have also thought I was submitting and following scripture but not listening to my husbands heart. I am so glad that I stopped by from the HHH! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. And since marriage is designed to teach us about our relationship with the Lord, I've been thinking about what it means to have my heart joined to the Lord-not just in submission, but like you said about Mitch: doing life together! Do I care about what Jesus cares about? Do I seek to understand what He is doing in the world? In my life? Do I know His thoughts, and proactively respond to His "hints"? Am I joining Him in His work? Am I walking close, listening well, and "about the Father's business"?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy! I am so sorry, I was certain I had responded to you...so sorry (I will make it up to you on Twitter ;) Anyway, you are right,our husbands can be so quiet trying to not nag us or expect too much from us when all the while we are missing the crux of what they need. Laid back or not, they need us to hear their heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. S, thanks for stopping by from HHH. I will certainly stop by your blog as well. I peaked at it, but will go back tonight or tomorrow to read what you have written. I love the picture on top. Your family is beautiful! I appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt24:14, thanks for expounding on that in relation to the picture of marriage and our walk with God. You are so right. I thought about mentioning that, but didn't want to have a book on here that no one had time to read. Thank you for saying it so concisely and for adding it. It's good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful post, you hit it so right. I think the word submission is also very related/intertwined with the word "constrain"...I don't have a list of do's and dont's with my husband and with my Lord, but I am constrained by my relationship to them..I instinctively don't want to do things that would harm my relationship. I heard a quote once that I love, "my daily struggle is not with the world, but between the Lord and I" I think that is related to submission also- the struggle is not being told or ordered to do what my husband wants, but the struggle is in my heart and my heart attitude towards what he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Hen Jen, you hit the nail on the head. Thank you for that insight! Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  15. GREAT post, Tammy! I once heard a sweet lady from our church speak about submission as "putting yourself under the covering of your husband". Some women would shudder at the thought of "being under a man". But what I took from it were her first words--"putting yourself". In other words, submission isn't something someone else MAKES us do! That would define slavery, not submission! But true submission, according to the scripture you wrote about, is a choice we make! It is the choice of a woman of strength--not that of a strong woman. I prefer to be the former, not the latter. Thank you for this post! I may write about the same topic and link to your blog in mine. Words we all need to hear! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! I love your differentiation on a woman of strength and a strong woman. Thank you for that. I love how everyone has added rich wisdom to this article. Thank you Melissa for joining our discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post! My husband and I will be celebrating 30 years of marriage in December. We have a partnership that we have worked hard on over the years. I don't wrestle with this issue as much as I used to. As I have grown to trust God and my husband it is easier give my husband the consideration and respect he deserves. Power struggles in marriage can lead to the death of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some how I missed your comment Alida, sorry it took me so long to respond. Thanks for commenting. Congratulations on 30 years! I am sure you could teach us so much about what makes marriages strong.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you so much for this series - its been incredibly helpful! I will be back to let you know some of what we came up with for our family. Blessing, Karyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much for this post. I am currently engaged and I have been praying about the true meaning of being a wife. This helped me so much! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.