7.07.2011

Obedience for our Children

Sometimes I find myself wanting to knock my head against a brick wall. The reason? Disobedience in our kids. I am like all other moms, intentional parenting or not, my kids disobey. Most of the time, it is not done in a defiant way that is noticeable. I think we have tried very hard to put some fear of defiance in them, but it is still there at times and wrapped in a "I didn't hear you" attitude, or a stalling technique like going to sit on the throne in the bathroom to wait out the pressure. Sound familiar anyone?

Regardless of how disobedience plays out in my kids, the thing that drops me to my knees are the verses: "Children, obey your parents in the Lord. Honor your father and mother so that it may go well with you."

I desperately want it to go well with my kids, that they may have long life and that they will bring joy and not grief to us. I have to master teaching my kids to obey, even when I am tired of repeating myself. I have to choose to continue our discipline when what we are doing seems to not be working, but out of obedience because the Bible instructs us on how to discipline.

Patience and consistency, but with prayer...

I began reading the ebook Warrior Prayers: Praying the Word for Boys in the Areas They Need it Most.

Praying and doing battle in prayer is what I feel called to do, but it always helps to have something written in front of me to help me when my creative juices have expired...which they do by about 10 am everyday ;)

I highly recommend buying this prayer book. I have chosen to use the scripture in my own prayer time like she suggests with putting the child's name in it. I have printed it off for quick reference to keep with my Bible to ensure I actually pray it.

Secondly, I have rewritten the verses in first person, so that it can be read as a prayer by each of my kids. Why should we parents be the only ones believing for this? Let them pray it over themselves as well! So, I have taped the scriptures on the head board of my boys' bed and on the walls above my daughters' beds. Each day, they will be reading this prayer. Eventually, I hope it will become a prayer of their hearts. The benefit? They will eventually have the Word memorized. They can hide this word in their heart that they might not sin against God. (Sigh) I can feel my burdens lifting. They are the Lords and if I commit my way (parenting) to the Lord, He promises to give me the desires of my heart, to not let my foot stumble, to direct my paths, to orchestrate my steps, and to lead me in paths of righteousness. God, please guide me there with my kids in tow.

 Here is the prayer I put up for my kids, feel free to print it off for your children. The order of the verses came from the aforementioned Ebook. Please take the time to buy her book! It is awesome.

Obedience
Dear Heavenly Father,

Whether it is favorable or unfavorable, may I obey the LORD our God...so that it will go well with me (Jeremiah 42:6).

May I obey my parents in the Lord, for this is right (Ephesians 6:1).

May I obey my leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over my soul, as those who will have to give an account. Let me do this with joy and not with groaning (Hebrews 13:17).

May I obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29).

May I return to the LORD my God, and obey with all my heart and all my soul all the commands God has given (Deuteronomy 30:2).

May I walk after the LORD my God and fear Him and keep His commandments and obey His voice. May I serve Him and hold fast to Him (Deuteronomy 13:4).

May I stop my sinning and begin to obey the LORD my God (Jeremiah 26:13).

May I obey Jesus' commandments, and remain in His love (John 15:10).

May I show my love for Christ by obeying His commands (John 14:15).

May my parents be full of joy at my obedience (Romans 16:19).

Please give me a new heart, and a new spirit. I know You will put it in me. Remove the heart of stone from my flesh and give me a heart of flesh. Put Your Spirit within me and cause me to walk in Your statutes and be careful to obey Your rules (Ezekiel 36:26-27).

I ask this in Jesus' name and by His power to change my heart. Let my words not return void but accomplish that which it has set out to do.

*note* I have NOT received any compensation for mentioning her ebook. This is my own free 2 cents :)

4 comments:

  1. Tammy, what a great way to not only pray with your children and have them pray, but also....have them 'see' the word before they go to sleep and as they wake. I did the Warrior Prayer, too! It was wonderful....and I am still reading through it...praying it with my children...and for me, as well! Thank you for linking up and sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rebecca for checking it out. When I saw your obedience post, I knew I had to link it up. God must be doing something in mothers...drawing them to obedience themselves by staying the course and teaching their children to obey. I always love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! I could pray much of that prayer myself. I still find myself struggling with obedience to the Father in certain areas of my life. Apparently, being an adult and parent myself doesn't exempt me from this prayer. I was convicted as I read it.

    Thanks for the beautiful post. His Word never returns void!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right Jennifer. Thanks for bringing that to light. This is for all of us, small and big :) I appreciate your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Wait! Don't leave just yet, I haven't heard from you :)I promise not to make you do a word verification.